Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Change is good

Growing up, I used to rearrange my bedroom all the time. I found it so fun to come up with creative ways to position my furniture, and loved changing the flow of the room on a regular basis.

In recent years, my bedrooms (and general living quarters) haven’t really been conducive to multiple arrangements. But yesterday, I decided there may be another way to position the furniture in our bedroom. It didn’t take long (we have only a few pieces of furniture and a pretty small room), but the makeover was complete!

I love changing things up. I mean, I was actually excited to go to bed last night. Because the bed was turned a different way? Who knows! At least I can appreciate the small things in life.

So the first night went fine, but as is true with anything in life, change can be harder for some rather than others.

 


 
Now, Sean and I both enjoy sleeping in a very dark room. So to keep the street light outside our window from blinding us all night long, and to block the sun on days when we are lucky enough to sleep past dawn, we’ve hung a big fleece blanket over the window. Most people would buy some nice, heavy curtains. We just haven’t quite gotten to it yet. We’ve only lived there 6 months. Give us some time.

So the extra darkness of the bedroom makes it all the more difficult to navigate your way through the bedroom in the middle of the night. I had mastered the art of this, even learning exactly where to duck my head at the angled part of the ceiling.

But with this new arrangement, my side of the bed falls closest to the door. So last night, Oliver (the dog) was the first to experience the change. I felt him crawl out from under the covers and heard him jump to the ground from Sean’s side of the bed—just as he usually does. Only this time, Sean’s side of the bed leads to the opposite side of the room. So Oliver sat whimpering at the wall to be let out to go potty. Little did he know the door was on the other side of the room.

Later in the morning, as I lay in bed counting the seconds until my second alarm went off, Sean got up to use the restroom. I heard him feeling around for the bed posts, and eventually he found the door. When he came back, he admitted it’s a little challenging to find his way around the room now. I assured him that before we know it, the new arrangement will be commonplace and we won’t think twice about which direction to head to find the door. And by then, I’ll probably want to change it up again!

No comments:

Post a Comment