Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Weekly Wednesday Top 10

It’s that time again – the weekly top 10.

Today we attended the funeral for Sean’s friend Peter’s brother. It was a beautiful but expectedly sad service. My heart is just heavy for them. As I was getting ready this morning I was thinking about how many people were doing the very same thing—preparing to show their support for Peter’s family and say goodbye to his brother.

And just like earlier in the week, I remembered the comfort that such support provides in times like these. It made me think of a quote/song lyric that I hear time and time again. “I get by with a little help from my friends.” This couldn’t be truer for Sean and his friends. Seeing them all come together, especially in times like these, shows just how deep their friendship goes and how blessed they are to have each other.

You see, I’m slightly obsessed with quotes and song lyrics that have meaning or inspiration to me. I’ve got lists miles long of some of my favorites. Narrowing it down to 10 is near impossible, but for the sake of this week’s entry, I will try.

So here are 10 of my favorite quotes/passages/lyrics, at least as they speak to me on a day like today (so I apologize if they all seem to have a common theme):
  1. “For everything there is a season…a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance.” –Ecclesiastes 3:1-4
  2. “I’ll lean on you, and you lean on me, and we’ll be okay.” –Dave Matthews Band
  3. "Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity." –Henry Van Dyke
  4. “A new wound makes all the old ones ache again.”   –Mignon McLaughlin
  5. “What we have once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” –Helen Keller
  6. "Life is too short to be anything but happy. So kiss slowly, laugh insanely and forgive quickly. Take chances, give everything and have no regrets" –Unknown
  7. “If ever there is a tomorrow when we’re not together, there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart…I’ll always be with you.” – Winnie the Pooh
  8. “Love…bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends” –I Corinthians 13:7-8
  9. “Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you. Go to work, do your best, don't oustmart your common sense. Never let your prayin' knees get lazy, and love like crazy.” –Lee Brice
  10. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment