Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The gift of giving

Growing up, most of us are taught that "'tis better to give than to receive." Children often struggle with this because they simply aren't mature enough to understand such selfless behavior. But as we get older, we learn to love the joy that comes from giving to others. Of course this can't be true for everyone. Some children do realize the joy of giving. Some adults don't. But in my experiences, I've found that for most people, generosity runs deep.

I've been blessed by many acts of generosity. Big or small, they mean so much to me. I don't ever feel deserving, but always feel grateful. And it's for that reason that I'm determined to always pay it forward.

I am a bad gift-giver. At least, I can never seem to come up with great ideas on my own. I have a friend who always has great ideas, so I tend to look for her for ideas when needed. But as terrible as I am at coming up with ideas, I do love giving gifts. I love seeing the smiles on their faces. I love making someone excited. I love giving them something completely surprising. But most of all, I love giving something to someone who gives me so much all year-round, material or not.

I don't think it's entirely selfish to wish for things for youself every now and then, too. It's human. And more than likely - you deserve it! But also take some time to think about others. I guarantee you'll find happiness in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment