Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

Let it snow?

They warned us on the news – a big winter storm was coming. I mostly brushed it off. The third one of the season—and it’s only the middle of December? I’ve got to be used to it by now.

Boy was I wrong!

This was THE storm of the century (hey, we're only 10 years in, so we can say that). They say we haven’t seen this much snow since the infamous Halloween blizzard of ’91. I barely remember that one. And let’s face it, as a kid you don’t have to worry about driving in it, shoveling it, or any other fun snow-related responsibility.

But this one? Oh this one I’m going to remember!

When I let Oliver out to go potty early Saturday morning, there was already quite a bit of snow on our deck, and the screen door was starting to get difficult to open. Sean and I went out and did round 1 of snow removal, with him on the snowblower and me on the shovel. Now that I think about it, how did I get the short end of that stick?

More than an hour later we were somewhat cleared out, but the snow was falling fast and quickly covering up the work we’d already accomplished. We later decided to brave the roads and made it safely to his parents’ house with our snowblower. We hung out there most of the afternoon, and did a round of snowblowing and shoveling there, too. When we got home around 7, we decided we better tackle our sidewalks again because it was going to be bitterly cold by morning.

Somewhere in the middle of this third round, I remember Sean smiling at me as I shouted “I blame you for this, you know! You wished for this!”  See, he loves snow, and always gets excited when the forecast shows lots of it. I guess this was his dream come true. For some reason I wasn’t overjoyed for him at 8 o’clock at night in the blistering wind as I moved shovel-full after shovel-full of snow and still barely made a dent! I wonder why?

But in reality, I was so glad that we put in all that work on Saturday, because the below zero temps and wind chills on Sunday not only made the snow harder to move, but also made it terribly unpleasant to be outside in.

I joke that I got the short end of the stick by having to shovel, but Sean probably got the short end of the stick by having me as his helper. I didn’t have much to cover—the back walkway, the deck, the front stairs—but it took me plenty of time to do it. And when I struggled, Sean gladly took hold and cleared it much faster than me. He even was so sweet to clear the paths for many of our neighbors, including our sweet neighbor who on Saturday had to attend her 99-year-old brother’s funeral. She adores Sean. It’s cute! So really, I tease but I’m insanely lucky to have him!


So it seems as though it’s going to take quite some time for the cities to dig out from this blizzard. I honestly wonder if we will do it before the spring thaw! The snow has swelled to enormous heights in our backyard, so I’m not sure where we’re going to put the rest of it if we get anymore this winter. Chances are we won’t be getting any snow-melting temperatures before the next snowfall, so I guess we’ll have to find a way.

(One side of the back yard - the deck is under part of it, somewhere) 

(Look how high up to the fence the snow goes!)

(View from the garage - and this was already after shoveling once!)

(The front stairs - looks more like a sledding hill)
Oh the joys of living in Minnesota!

And on a side note: I don't think Uggs were made for shoveling 2 feet of snow. Good thing I found my snow boots AFTER we were done with this storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment