Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Weekly Wednesday Top 10

Last year at this time I was enjoying 75+ degree temperatures under the California sun. So far this week I’ve run some errands and spent significant amounts of time curled on the couch under my new blanket watching my new favorite show (both Christmas gifts). It’s far from the sandy beaches of Manhattan Beach, California, but I’ll still take it.

Unfortunately it won’t be too long before I have to come back to reality. We’ll start a new year in just a couple of days, and I’ll be back to work a couple days after that.

I like the refreshing feeling of getting to “start over” as a new year begins, but admittedly that can get a bit cliché at times. As December 31st approaches every year, there’s always so much talk about what has happened in the previous year and what “resolutions” you’re setting for the year ahead. When you think about it, is there really any sort of dramatic shift when you wake up on January 1st? Just because the year changed doesn’t mean that everything that was going on in life yesterday did, too.  

But, if celebrating a new year is what it takes to gain a new perspective, to find inspiration or motivation to do things you have your heart set on, then I guess that’s as good a reason as any!

I’m not going into 2011 with too many goals, plans, or expectations, but in the spirit of the season, I’ll try and come up with a few (or 10).
  1. Turn another year older. There’s no avoiding it; it happens every year. This year, it’s an odd number—not my favorite—but honestly, I’m ok with it. So far, my age doesn’t scare me. Ask me again in 3 years.
  2. Graduate! Technically, I did this in 2010. But in 2011, I’ll get to attend our commencement ceremony, so it will feel a little more real that I finally finished my MBA.
  3. Step up my workouts. I’m getting to the point where my standard workouts don’t always challenge me the way I want them to. Hoping to be a little more bold in 2011 and maybe try some classes or run a 5K.
  4. Go back to school? This is a big question mark, but I’m seriously considering getting my real estate license in 2011. Or at least taking the first class. We’ll see!
  5. Write. I’ve got lots to say. Now that I’m done with graduate school, next year would be a great time to focus on my hobby of writing (in addition to the obligatory writing I do everyday for my job).
  6. Try skiing…again. My first attempt at skiing was sad, to say the least. I’m eager to give it another shot though. With how much snow we’ve had already, I’d say it’s a good time to get out there and try.
  7. Plan a vacation? I won’t likely be going on a vacation in 2011, but maybe I can plan ahead!
  8. Plant a garden. Since we bought this house in the spring, and we were busy getting settled most of the summer, we missed out on a chance to liven up our landscaping. Hoping 2011 will be a great time to spice up the yard!
  9. Shop early. Every Christmas I swear I'm gong to start my shopping early, and every year I'm undoubtedly among the crowds two days before the holiday. Next year - I am determined to change that! 
  10. Win the lottery. Hey – it could happen! Hah!
Nothing too exciting, but I’m trying to be realistic here. What are you hoping for in 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment