Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

All the small things

I’ve said it before, but sometimes, it’s the small things in life that make your day.

Yesterday, Sean found out that he should be officially re-employed at the end of the month. That’s less than 2 weeks away! We’ve been waiting for that news since August!

Since being laid off, he’s had great opportunities to work, especially in recent months, so it’s been less stressful than we thought it would be. Or should I say less stressful than I thought it would be? After all, on the day he found out he was being laid off due to budget cuts, I was the one who left work in the middle of the day because I couldn’t compose myself. But looks can be deceiving.  I’m sure that the last 5 months have been much more stressful on him. As a woman, I probably just show the stress and sadness a little more.

So my day started out with that good news. And while nothing else especially good or really big happened, lots of little things made for a pretty good day.

I came home from work a bit later than usual. When I walked in the back door, I instantly noticed that the kitchen had been cleaned up. I was in a hurry to get out the door that morning. And since it was trash day, I wanted to rid the fridge of any expired food. As a result, the kitchen was a disaster—complete with used leftover containers strewn about and a sink full of soaking cake pans. They were all gone. The dishwasher that was full of clean dishes that morning had been emptied. It was now half full with all the new dirty dishes I had created that morning. It was a site for sore eyes!

I was starving and had told Sean to go ahead and eat without me. Remembering the leftovers I had carefully put away the night before made for a quick fix for my rumbling stomach. I popped it in the microwave and less 2 minutes later I was feasting on parmesan crusted tilapia and brown rice. And it tasted every bit as good as the night before.

While my dinner cooked I ran upstairs to change into my sweats. I threw on my slippers and before I knew it, I was snuggled on the couch under my heavy duty blanket (a Pottery Barn throw I got for Christmas – perfect for these winter nights). We caught up on some shows we had DVR’ed, watched some new ones, and eventually headed to bed early.

As you can see it was very uneventful, not much unlike any other night in our house. But it was a day that provided the perfect escape from stress and bitter temperatures.

The icing on the cake? When I woke up today—it was Friday! Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment