Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Crying?

I may have mentioned before (or more than once?) that I’m a crier. It’s always kind of been part of who I am.

When I was little, I was allergic to crying. It was more likely a reaction to stress, but it’s much easier (and more interesting!) to describe it as an allergic reaction to the art of crying. Anytime I would let out a good cry, I would suddenly become flushed and full of hives. My mom would pull out the trusty antihistamine pills my doctor prescribed and within the hour, I'd usually be cured.  

At some point I grew out of that (thank God!). I’d probably break the bank paying for those pills nowadays. I don’t always enjoy crying, but sometimes I find it quite comforting to release the stress/sadness/fear/anger/hormones/general craziness that is building up inside of me.

Sean gets a big kick out of this. I will admit, sometimes when I’m having an exceptionally bad day, I say to him and Oliver, “I think I may go upstairs and have a good cry.” He always gives me the same look: a sort of sideways glance and half-smirk. In his defense, I know it sounds very weird. But sometimes a girl just needs a good cry! I’m sure he would much prefer it than me spewing my random, often hormonal thoughts that are racing through my head at 100 miles per hour.

In fact, a few weeks ago when I proclaimed that I was feeling the need for a good cry, Sean responded with, “Oh yeah, you usually do that on Thursdays don’t you?” It was funny, but even funnier because he was totally serious.

So I say, if you need a good cry, let it out! There is no shame in it. Granted, this is coming from the girl who once cried every night for a whole summer because she dreaded her boyfriend going away to school at the end of it. So I may be a little biased. But I still fully support the behavior. Sometimes people feel like they have to hold it back. Crying does have it place—it’s generally frowned upon at work (at least on a regular basis) and in dramatic fashion in public places (I’m not saying I know this from experience, hah).

But if you’ve had a bad day, or you’re missing someone so much it hurts in the depth of your soul, or you’re worried so much about things that lie ahead, don’t be afraid to grab a box of tissues and let it all out. The men in your life might give you sideways glances and half-smirks, but deep down they’ll probably understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment