Thanks to the wonderful World Wide Web we have endless of amounts of information (and mindless entertainment) at our fingertips. I’m certainly one to take advantage of this on a regular basis. Sometimes you just need a quick break from staring at the same word document for 2 hours, or a distraction from the endless amount of sports that are always on the TV at home (ahem, Sean).
There’s only so much you can do before you get bored with the Internet. But there are a few websites I tend to frequent. Whether catching up on the latest celebrity gossip (sad, I know), browsing current events, or finding inspiration and humor in the words of a Pioneer Woman, I find fun in them all the same.
So are you looking to try out a few new websites? Just want to know what I do most often when I feel the need to waste some more time in front of the computer? Here are some of my favorites:
- Read blogs. I just recently started writing my own (duh!) but I’ve always loved reading others’ blogs. One of my favorites, and one of the first blogs I started following (way back when), is The Pioneer Woman. Great photo advice, hilarious commentary, delicious recipes. This is just one of many—I have a “favorite blogs” list in my browser that’s a mile long.
- Check Facebook. Enough said.
- Listen to Pandora. The genius that is this site is a staple in my work day. I still listen to my iPod a lot, but I love being able to pick the music mood I’m in and letting my custom station(s) do the work! I’ve found many of my favorite songs just from them popping up on my Pandora playlist.
- Email. I might be a little obsessed. I tend to check my email—personal and work—incessantly. Not sure why—there’s rarely anything so pressing that I need it right away—but I’m sure it’s nothing more than a symptom of my generation’s growing dependence on technology.
- Shop. It’s always fun to check out the latest styles and sales. I even get a daily email that shows me sale items in my size from some of my favorite stores (ShopItToMe if you’re interested in signing up). In addition to some of my favorite stores, I also love browsing Etsy, Craigslist, and Amazon every now and then.
- Search YouTube. Who doesn’t love watching the latest viral video or laughing along with a cute baby from time to time? YouTube is also great for looking up clips to your favorite shows or movies, or listening to a song you just have to hear right now!
- Stay up on industry info. I enjoy reading about current events that relate to my professional life. I work in marketing, so naturally things related to marketing (of any type) are interesting to me. I also work in the education industry, so I enjoy sites like The Chronicle of Higher Education. And I’m a writer, so I love reading about tips, trends, and snafus in the writing world, too. My coworkers are way better about this than I am—so a lot of my info I get from them!
- Find answers. The Internet has undeniably changed the way we all do things—learn, work, communicate (to name a few). Among those transformations: finding a fast answer to almost any question. I am constantly “Googling” everything (see what I mean about change? Googling is now a very common verb). Be careful though. As most of us are aware, there is plenty of unreliable information out there, too.
What are your favorite things to explore on the handy dandy Internet?