Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

The house that became our home

When Sean and I started looking at houses last year, we explored all of our options. We looked at a few houses in outlying neighborhoods. We saw one house that felt like it had the same square footage as my college dorm room (we were just starting out so our expectations were realistic in terms of space, but this one was especially small). We seriously considered one house that had a lot of potential but needed a lot of updating. But when we found the house we now call home, something just clicked.

I had a good feeling about it from the minute I saw it online. The day it came on the market, I emailed our realtor and asked if he could get us in to see it (“Tonight would be great,” I politely encouraged). He probably laughed out loud at my request. We didn’t get in to see it that day. In fact, we didn’t get to see it until 5 days later. The owner was selling it himself and had it in his mind that he wanted to hold his first open house before letting anyone see it privately. So we waited, impatiently (as is my nature).

When we finally did get to see it, I loved it. Something felt right about it. It was in a great location (just blocks from the high school we both attended, and a few blocks more from my mom’s house). It was old but had lots of new features. It was small, but adorable. It fulfilled a lot of things on our wish list—a 2 car garage, a fenced-in yard, 3 bedrooms.

So it came down to 2. We were debating between this house and the one that needed a bit of updating. We looked at both with our moms on the same day. Our realtor told us if we wanted either one of them, we might want to think about making an offer soon, as he expected them to go fast. The fixer-upper wasn’t even technically on the market yet and there were already other interested parties.

Sean and I went back to his parents’ house and had dinner with his family. I remember sitting at the kitchen table crying (surprising right?). I was so torn. Something was pulling me toward the updated house, but I wasn’t sure why. To be honest, if Sean’s dad had still been alive, I probably would’ve had an entirely different perspective. Being an architect, he was a true artist in his ability to fix and update houses. I would’ve loved to see what he could do with that house. But in reality, it was more work than Sean and I were skilled enough to do, and it was already at the top of our price range, so we certainly wouldn’t be rolling in the dough to pay to have the work done.

So we decided. We wanted to call the other one home. And it was a whirlwind. We put in an offer Monday morning, and by Friday we had finished negotiations and had our inspection. Less than a month later, we closed on our first home, on Sean’s dad’s birthday no less. I took that to be a sign that his dad was giving us his blessing.

Though the house has had its share of complications (what house doesn’t?), I’m thrilled with our decision. It really feels like home.

I often joke that the kitchen is what sold me on the house. Can you blame me?


But another selling point? The jacuzzi bathtub in the recently remodeled bathroom (the only bathroom in fact, one of the downsides of the house). Last night, I drew water as hot as my skin could bear, turned on a playlist of soothing music I had made just for the occasion, and settled in for a nice, long bath. I let go of the stress and emotions I had been feeling earlier in the week. It was just what I needed.


I can’t believe I don’t make more use of this little bit of heaven in the form of a bathtub. I certainly will now! It sure made my Friday even more refreshing and energizing! I think I’ll make it my Thursday-night ritual.

What do you do to rejuvenate?

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found the perfect house! And that kitchen . . . OMG! Love it!!! I saw your blog at FTLOB! Now a follower! :-)
    Much Love,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!

    I'm stopping by via the Saturday hop to say hello and to follow. You can visit me at http://poshonabudget.com/2011/01/another-snowy-saturday.html.

    Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that y'all picked a great house!! The kitchen is fantastic! I always wonder why I don't use my jacuzzi tub a lot, too! When I take a bath, I always think, "I'm going to do this every night." Then, I just forget. Sad!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete