Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

It's my birthday (tomorrow) and I'll cry if I want to

It’s been one of those weeks.

I actually keep forgetting that it’s my birthday tomorrow. That’s how bad it’s been! And trust me, from the girl who used to remind her family how many days were left until my birthday at least a month in advance, that’s saying something.

Since I had Monday off of work, my “Monday” was actually on Tuesday. When I think of good ways to start my week, getting an email from the CEO announcing that our company is going to be laying off 8% of our employees in the next week is not on the list. But sure enough, that’s how my week started.

We know very little, other than that my department will be affected. We don’t know by how much, or who. All we know is that individuals who are impacted will be informed next week. Talk about a waiting game. And I’m not good at waiting.

So the atmosphere around work has been pretty gloomy—lots of speculation, lots of anxiety, lots of fear. We’re trying to keep a positive attitude and focus on the work at hand. There’s not much else we can do.

On top of trying not to focus on this announcement, I’ve been incredibly busy. I guess it’s good because it’s kept me hard at work. But yesterday as I was driving home from work I couldn’t help but feel like I was barely keeping my head above water. And it was only Wednesday.

Of course that kind of attitude and stress doesn’t bring out the best in me. So it’s no surprise that by the end of the night I ended up in a puddle of tears at the kitchen table, trying my hardest to rectify the argument Sean and I were having. Eventually he calmed me down and convinced me to just crawl in to bed and call it a night. Two Advil PMs and an hour later, I was fast asleep. I slept like a rock. And boy did I need it.

I’m feeling a bit better today. Slowly coming up for air, and that’s a good feeling. By tomorrow, I’ll be ready to celebrate my birthday. I’m determined to not let any of this overshadow that, if even for 24 hours so that I can relax and enjoy this late 20s-birthday with family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes girl! That is some scary news and right before your birthday too? No fun at all!

    I hope your birthday and your weekend are better :)

    ReplyDelete