Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Looking ahead

It’s getting to that point where any glamour associated with winter is quickly fading. The mountains of snow piled along our boulevards are no longer beauty marks of winter—they’ve become mud-stained eyesores. The roads are terrible; where there isn’t ice and snow there are potholes. I’m tired of dressing in layers. I’m so over the 10 minutes it takes for my body to stop shivering after coming from anywhere outside. And the constant dreary, grey skies are depressing. I’m done with you winter—done!

Only problem is it’s completely out of my control. And it’s only February 2nd. And the fact that Punxsutawney Phil predicted an early spring today offers me little relief. What does he know? I live in Minnesota – winter won’t be over till it damn well pleases.

So that’s why I realized today that I am in desperate need of something to look forward to.

A vacation? Planning a party? Even just a new hobby? I need some relief! I’ve got a birthday coming up, but to be honest, I’m mostly underwhelmed by it. Birthdays tend to be less and less exciting as you get older.

So the search is on for something to be excited about. Right now, the idea of a spring still at least a month away isn’t cutting it.  

5 comments:

  1. I hear you on that one!

    I was just thinking yesterday we ought to move Christmas and New Years until later in winter (like say now) so that we have something to look forward to before spring. There is just such a long gap between the holidays and warmer weather :)

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mud stained snow isnt pretty...
    I hope things start warming up for you soon.
    Maybe a vacation for your birthday is a possibility? Vegas perhaps? California?
    Keep a smile on your face :)
    I am a follower now from FTLOB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have to plan a lot of stuff in February, otherwise to go stir crazy too! Hope you find something fun to fill your time :)
    Stopped over from FTLOB! No on to have a better look around :)
    http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. KT - I couldn't agree more! Once Christmas and New Years is over, it always feels like the longest stretch until spring. At least we're more than half way there! Thanks for stopping by - happy Friday to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lindsey! You're so sweet! That's funny that you mentioned a vacation; we were just talking about trying to squeeze one in this winter! Vegas seems like a great option for a relatively affordable, quick trip. Have you ever been?

    ReplyDelete