Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Serendipity?

After seeing several other bloggers sharing theirs lately, I’ve been toying with the idea of writing “our story”—how Sean and I met and fell in love (whether I share that story with anyone but me and my computer is another issue). It’s not a terribly exciting one, but it has its share of sweet moments and ups and downs. As I started putting it down on paper, I was reminded of how serendipitous it feels sometimes. And today, on a day where I woke up feeling in need of a little inspiration, it was much needed.

Our love story begins long before we even knew each others’ names, or even that the other existed. I often wonder how many times our paths may have crossed unknowingly—in a hallway, in a classroom, on a playground. As a fifth grader, did he watch the middle school production of Annie and look at Orphan #4 and think, “hmm, I might marry that girl someday?” Of course he didn’t. Did he notice the high schooler working in his mom’s preschool classroom when he came in after school for a ride home? Doubtful. Or for that matter, did I ever think twice about the boy who came and waited for the sweet the woman who worked in the preschool classroom before me—the one I often chatted with as she finished up her day? Nope.

But it’s still strange to think of the dozens of times we probably sat in the same church service, stood in the same room, or attended an all-school assembly without knowing that some someday, these two strangers would end up, well…us.

We’ve come a long way since being strangers. Heck, we’ve come a long way from the couple we were even just a few years ago. It’s sometimes amazing to think of what life throws in your lap, often when you least expect it. That’s certainly been the case in our relationship, in both good and bad ways.

I wasn’t expecting to find a best friend and a soul mate in the boy who was three years my junior and in a seemingly serious relationship with his high school sweetheart. He probably wasn’t expecting for her to break his heart, either. It’s funny how life can work out sometimes. In the midst of some of our happiest and hardest moments, life can throw us a curve ball. And most times, even if it takes a while to get there or to find the silver lining, we’re changed for the better.

Life can feel unpredictable and undependable at times. And that’s usually what makes it so exciting. But sometimes it feels like it would just be nice to know how things turn out—to what when to expect something, to know that everything is going to turn out ok. And then I remember stories like ours.

It reminds me that things do work out. Hard times do get better. Doors open when you least expect it. Long, crummy winters someday have to turn to spring.

And on weeks like this one, it’s a much-needed reminder (for me and I’m sure many others) to keep pushing forward. We may feel defeated, but we must remember that life holds all sorts of surprises in its pocket. We can’t know how things turn out, but we can have faith that we are ready to take on what’s ahead. And even if it doesn’t feel like it now, there are sure to be great things ahead.

{One of my favorite greeting cards; I've had it hanging at my desk for years: (C) 1997 by The Borealis Press Inc.}

3 comments:

  1. Miss Jewells this is a beautiful and inspiring post! You are such a great writer and I love all the times you mentioned about meeting and not recognizing each other :)

    J and I didn't meet until college, but my grandparents grew up in the same town and went to the same schools together and I imagine their story to be a lot like yours. My grandpa says he saw her as she was going into the third grade classroom as he was going into second grade classroom and said "That's the girl I'm going to marry!" My grandma just usually rolls her eyes.

    Thanks so much for sharing and for reminding me of their love story (and ours) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, cute card! I love your blog... how cute and fun. The font is so cute too :-) That makes a difference. Thanks for the comment and follow. I am now following you back! Have a FABULOUS Weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a very cute card. I also have to say that I love your 'story' if you would like to have it featured at "love story' series, please email me, and i will feature it on my blog!

    ReplyDelete