Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tune in Tuesdays

Sometimes I think I could convey my thoughts or feelings entirely through song lyrics.

Many people say that what makes music “good” is that it speaks to you in some way. We all have our own tastes in music, so what is good to me, might not be good to you. But the music that speaks to me is often much attributed to the words inside of it that poetically capture a feeling, a moment, or a memory.

And that’s why I’m starting a new weekly update: Tune in Tuesdays.

Every Tuesday I’ll share some of my favorite lyrics (maybe from the whole song, maybe just a line or two).

Let’s jump right in!
 
“The Rose” by Bette Midler
(As we welcome February, it seemed like a fitting reminder for those of us feeling the heavy weight of winter and wishing desperately for spring to arrive.)

“It’s the heart afraid of breaking, that never learns to dance.
It’s the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance.
It’s the one who won’t be taken, who cannot seem to give.
And the soul afraid of dying, that never learns to live.

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong.
Just remember, in the winter, far beneath the bitter snows,
lies the seed that with the sun’s love, in the spring, becomes the rose.”

This song is special to many people in my family. Its message is one I think any of us could relate to. It’s easy to be fearful. It’s easy to think the hard things are simply too hard. But we have to remember that they do get better. The dark times do turn to light. The winter turns to spring. Somewhere beneath the sad times, the painful times, even the dull times, there is something just waiting to come and bring a little extra light to our life.

And of course, it’s a cycle. Life is full of ups and downs. It can’t always be rainbows and sunshine. But when I’m feeling like I could do better at keeping my chin up, this song is a great reminder of why I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment