Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stuck in paradise

Though I was scheduled to be leaving on a jet plane today, it was not meant to be.

I can't tell you how many times on this trip my mom and I have said, "Ahh, I could get used to this." I guess we should be careful what we wish for.

Today (of all days) the civil service workers on the islands staged a "sick out" in protest of some changes the government has implemented.  I can't pretend to have a complete understanding of what it all entailed, but this article does a pretty good job explaining it. As you can see from that article, some firefighters returned to the job this afternoon and the airport was reopened for non-commercial flights. They are hoping to have regular service up and running by tomorrow, which is good since they have us scheduled on the 3:00 p.m. flight. We just have to hope they actually have room for the thousands of passengers that were delayed today (us included).

So I can't complain. As my mom said, at least we're not delayed in getting to the islands. Instead, our trip was unexpectedly lengthened. And I'd say that sure beats having it unexpectedly shortened.

So while I was ready to go home and looking forward to seeing familiar faces (my boys especially), I can't say it was too bad of a deal to be in the land of this:

Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands, British West Indies

Especially when at home, the temperatures are barely above freezing and they're recovering from this:

{Via MPR}
Despite the stark contrast, we're still hopeful to return home tomorrow (we must be crazy, right?). But home is home, and we'll be happy to be there eventually. Plus, it's always nice to have a couple days to decompress before heading back to work and getting back to the grind. So cross your fingers that we get to travel tomorrow!

Until then, I hope everyone has a great end to their week - happy Friday eve!

1 comment:

  1. I always think getting stuck places is better when you are heading home then when you are heading there although sometimes you just want to go home! Hope you enjoy(ed) your last day and that you are able to get home tomorrow without any hiccups :)

    ReplyDelete