Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tune in Tuesdays

In just 2 days one of my favorite holidays of the year will be upon us!

This year, I'll be spending my St. Patrick's Day on a series of airplanes in route to the middle of the Atlantic ocean. While slightly disappointed to be missing out on the traditional festivities around town, I think the alternative is quite alright with me!

Growing up (and coming from a huge Irish family), St. Patty's Day has always been a traditionally fun day for us. We used to get dressed head to toe in green flare and march in the St. Paul St. Patrick's Day parade, led by my fiercly proud aunt Kelly. After the parade, we'd pile into a limo and make a run through the McDonald's drive-thru for Shamrock Shakes. As we got older we didn't always do the parade, but our family would almost always gather together on the big day. Another of my mom's sisters, my aunt Erin, started having an annual Shamrock Shake party at her house and for the past few years, you can always find us there.

Last year the holiday was especially fun because I ran for Miss Shamrock, the "queen" of the St. Patrick's Association of St. Paul. This association puts on the parade, hosts many events leading up to March 17, and raises lots of money for local and national charities. In running for Miss Shamrock, you become a Shamrock Princess, complete with your very own sash!

For 6-8 weeks leading up to St. Patty's Day, you attend events with many people from the association and raise money for the association by selling the annual buttons. Each button gets you an entry in a drawing for a trip for 2 to Ireland. It was an incredible way to meet incredible people who are immensely welcoming, caring, and downright proud to be Irish. It was the experience of a lifetime. I consider myself very lucky to have met these wonderful people.

This winter has been so busy that I haven't gotten out with the "crew" but I'm still excited to see who our next Miss Shamrock will be. So while I'm bummed to miss out marching in the parade with them, I'll definitely be celebrating my Irish pride in my own small ways.

So, after that long winded explanation, I give you this week's song. A classic Irish song, a sweet message, and a fitting theme for this holiday week!


Happy Tuesday (and Irish or not, happy St. Patrick's Day soon)!


1 comment:

  1. What a fun tradition! My mom always bought us new cotton St. Patty's Day socks (so we always had a bit of green on), a green carnation to give our teachers (because her mom had done that when she was little) and green milk (or beer for adults) with our corned beef and cabbage :)

    Happy early St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete