Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

If you give a mouse a cookie...

Do you ever feel like once you give in to one thing, it's so much easier to keep giving in to more?

While it's not quite the same theme of the popular children's book, I had "If you give a mouse a cookie" on the brain today as I bit into an unnecessary (but delicious!) afternoon treat.

{Via}
Because if you give this girl a cookie, she's only going to want some more!

I've mentioned a little before that I'm somewhat of a recovering overeater. After high school I packed on quite a few pounds. I carried that extra weight around for years before I finally realized I was OVER IT. Over the huffing and puffing with the slightest bit of exercise. Over the growing number on the tag of my clothes. Over the reflection I saw in the mirror, no matter how many times I tried to tell myself it wasn't as bad as it seemed.

So I got to work. By re-learning the basics of healthier eating, adjusting my habits, and making exercise a very regular part of my routine, I lost over 60 pounds.

I know that I'll never go back to the lifestyle I was leading when I was heavier. I've learned from those mistakes. But that doesn't mean that I don't have days every now and then (or more, it seems lately) where I give in, making choices that won't be found in any healthy living cookbook.

And they say everyone deserves a "treat" every once in a while. I get that. I agree. But it's a slippery slope I tell 'ya!

Because one "bad" decision makes it a lot easier to make another. Having half a cookie mid-afternoon, prompted largely by the stress of a busy day, only makes you want to go back for the other half.

I'm happy to say I didn't give in to the other half today. But I did have the first half. And I did pop a handful of jelly beans while cooking dinner. The more I spoil the sweet tooth, the more it hungers for, well, more.

So when I give in sometimes, and usually end up feeling guilty and regretful, I also look at it as something to learn from. It probably wouldn't take much to slip back in to the "ease" of not caring about what I eat, how much I eat, or how much (or rather, how little) I get my ass to the gym. But I hated that life. And having seen the other side for almost 2 years now, I have no desire to go back.

So I'll keep taking it one day at a time. I'll try and remember to lean on the "tricks" for avoiding emotional eating. I'll continue to wake up at the crack of dawn and drag myself to the gym before work. I'll forgive myself for the less-than-wonderful choices. I'll try and do better next time. No one said it'd be easy, but they said I'd be a changed woman. And I can promise you I am.

Do you ever struggle with making "good" choices (food, exercise, etc.)? What do you do to keep going, even when it's hard or when you slip up?

2 comments:

  1. I am right there with ya on this! I am trying to lose a bit of weight and I keep finding myself standing in front of my kids easter baskets...drooling over the chocolate. But if I deflect and eat some grapes instead I am good. But its SO hard to say no once you have already said yes. Just try eating something sweet like a fat free pudding or a special k 90 calorie bar instead of going for the cookie or jelly beans.
    Good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally the same way!! I currently live alone (not for long though) and I do my best not to buy the "good" stuff (ya know, cookies, ice cream, chocolate, soda, etc.). But when someone brings it around me I am seriously like a bull in a china shop wanting everything!!

    The best "treat" for me is chocolate, sugar free jello pudding! It's an instant pick-me-up when I'm craving sweets but it's only 60 or 90 calories depending on what you buy. YUM!

    Keep going, love!

    ReplyDelete