Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Storage advice

Ever since we moved in to our house—almost a whole year ago now—I’ve been keeping my eye out for the perfect dresser/wardrobe/cabinet/any sort of storage device to go in our upstairs hallway.

The landing at the top of the stairs is decent sized (relative to the rest of the space, I guess), so it is an ideal spot for this aforementioned piece of furniture. And since the bedrooms and bathroom that surround this landing lack significant amounts of closet space, it is also an ideal location for something that offers that solution.

Right now we have a small cabinet I once used as a nightstand about 3 houses ago (yeah, I’ve moved a lot in the last few years). On top of it being underwhelming in the décor department, it’s also just not cutting it in the function department either. I'd love for it to be be able to store a wide range of things, from spare sheets, to toiletries, to extra clothes.

But in the last 12 months I’ve yet to find the perfect solution—at least not something that meets my Pottery Barn tastes and Target (or more like garage sale) budget.

So many inspirations:

Fell in L-O-V-E with this one, but when I was done picking my jaw up off the floor from 4-figure sticker shock, I had no choice but to keep looking. {Via Pottery Barn}


So what do I do? Keep looking at ridiculously expensive, but adorable (can furniture be adorable?) options at the same store! Moving on....{Via Pottery Barn}

 
Some much more affordable options at Ikea. I like this dresser, but thinking it's a bit too small. {Via Ikea}

 
Loving this one, too, but it's just not big enough. If it were about twice as wide (and maybe had bigger drawers) it'd be perfect! {Via Ikea}


I also really like this one {via Ikea}....


...and this one {also via Ikea}. But I was really thinking something shorter. Not sure if tall is the way to go.


Which makes this one a little better of a solution (but now we're back to being not sure if it's big enough). And there goes that price again...$799. No thank you. {Via Crate & Barrel}



So then I found a similar one from Target. A bit shorter, has both drawers and a cabinet. Seems like a good compromise. {Via Target}


Yet, I still feel like I haven't found "the one." My goodness...it's a piece of furniture! Not a soulmate. If only Pottery Barn would magically reduce it's prices by say, oh about 80%. Maybe this weekend I'll venture out in search of "the one that will do because it's good enough and won't break the bank."

What do you think? Do you have a favorite? Do you ever have a crazy hard time picking something out, or is it just me?

2 comments:

  1. I of course love the first ones too :)

    I bet a cool refinished Craigslist hutch or baker's rack would look cool too without breaking the bank!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, KT! What a great idea - I'll definitely have to check that out. Many years ago my mom and I refinished an old dresser and it turned out great. I bet I could do it again if needed. Thanks for the great suggestion! (Hope you're having a great spring break, too!)

    ReplyDelete