Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Giving thanks

Yesterday one of my Facebook friends (and former co-worker) posted this photo:


I was instantly intrigued. Whether you believe in God, any higher power, or nothing at all, I think it’s a great question to ask yourself.

If I woke up tomorrow, and only had the things that I was thankful for, what would I be left with?

Just the other day, one of my best friends and I were sweating away at the gym and talking about how easy it is sometimes to get swept up in the chaos of life, or to focus on the  things that make us stressed, angry, frustrated, or sad. And so many times, those are the small things.

But when we make a conscious effort to stop for a moment and make mental note of the blessings in our life, it changes things.

I’ve been so busy at work lately that by the end of each day, I’ve felt defeated and a bit cynical. And then last night I thought about this picture, the one that randomly appeared in my news feed and sparked something inside of me. The heavy weight I’d been carrying on my shoulders felt even just a little lighter having remembered that it’s not so bad after all.

I could make a laundry list of things that drive me crazy today. But I could make an even longer list of things that I feel so lucky to have in my life—the things that I’d be lost without if I woke up tomorrow and only had left what I thanked God for yesterday.

So at the end of the day, when my eyelids threaten to outweigh the strength I have to spend 2 minutes saying my prayers, I think I’ll try a little harder. If not just to give thanks, but to remind myself of what’s good in life. Just like negativity, positivity can be contagious. And I’m all for having more of it in my life.

So what about you? Do you ever get swept up in the chaos and forget to stop and reflect? What are you thankful for? 

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post and a great reminder to be grateful for what we have! I have been reading Matt Logelin's book Two Kisses for Maddy and it is so tragically beautiful in that it reminds the reader that life is precious and fleeting and to be grateful and present to the life we have right now :)

    Have a great weekend girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you like the book so far?? A good friend of mine recommended I read it and it's next on my list! I imagine it will be hard to read, but like you said, inspirational for sure. What an incredible story they have! I do so much of my reading on the bus that I'm afraid I'll be a puddle and people might stare, hah! You'll have to let me know what you think when you're all done.

    Hope you have a great weekend too! TGIF!

    ReplyDelete