Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

A long weekend and some news

On any other Monday, right about now I’d be shuffling my tired feet toward our daily morning meeting at work. But instead of stifling yawns and making note of what’s in store for a long week ahead, I’m wearing my PJs and watching TV without a single thing on my to-do list for the day. You gotta love long weekends!

On a holiday weekend like this one, our usually bustling city quiets. People make their way out of town and those of us left behind see a weekend of calm and relaxation.

This was certainly true of our weekend, in most respects. Only, this particular holiday weekend brought with it a little more excitement.

Why you may ask?

Because I got engaged this weekend!

On Saturday, Sean and I decided to go look at rings. After picking one out, we went to visit with our friends who live nearby. We spent the afternoon with them, waiting patiently to go back to the jewelry store and pick up the finished ring.

I thought we would pick up the ring and bring it home to stash away somewhere, nestled safely in its white box. Instead, before we could even leave the parking lot, Sean asked to look at it. He took the box in his hands, examining the ring from all sides. Then he turned to me, with tears threatening to form in his eyes, and asked me (with my full name) if I would marry him.


The question sounded as magical as I always dreamt it would. Of course my answer was yes. We hugged and kissed and made our way to start spreading the news.

We went and showed his mom, brother, and uncle. My mom was at mass and I wanted to tell her in person. So while we waited for her to get home, Sean called his best friend who was at his parents’ house a few blocks away. We went there and surprised his friend's mom with the news, who cried and hugged us over and over again. Then we got to tell my mom, who was overjoyed and took us to dinner to celebrate.

Meanwhile, someone had started spreading the news via Facebook, as we started getting text messages from people asking if the congratulations they were seeing had something to do with a proposal. So we quickly started calling and texting the rest of our friends because we wanted them to hear it from us directly, not from a website. Everyone was overjoyed and we were blown away by their kind words and sweet wishes.

It was the best day of my life. Sean said, “I thought the day we get married is supposed to be the best day of your life.” He’s right, but that hasn’t happened yet. So for now, the day he asked me to be his wife takes the cake.


I was shocked when I woke up yesterday and it was still true. I’m so excited to be getting married to my best friend. He's the best thing that's ever happened to me! And I couldn’t be more honored to wear on my hand a diamond with such history. It’s the diamond his dad presented to his mom, and one that has been in their family for probably over 100 years. It’s everything I could ever want all wrapped up into one.

What a weekend!  

2 comments:

  1. congratulations! have fun planning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! How exciting for you guys and what a sweet proposal :)

    My engagement ring is vintage too--it belonged to J's grandmother. There is just something extra special knowing that it is family heirloom!

    ReplyDelete