Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dear Photograph

I read an article on MSNBC yesterday about a 21-year-old from Canada who came up with a seemingly simple, yet brilliantly creative idea for a website called Dear Photograph.

He was sitting in his family’s kitchen looking at photographs when he came across one that was taken at the very table at which he sat. He decided to hold it up and take a picture within a picture. And the idea was born. He snapped several others in a similar vein, bought a domain name, and started spreading the word.

The concept caught on quickly and within 3 weeks he had more than 1 million visitors. And I completely understand why.
{Picture via DearPhotograph.com}
When I saw the picture that accompanied the story (above), I was instantly intrigued. I immediately paid a visit to Dear Photograph, perusing the limited, but growing number of photos and their endearing captions.

It made me want to go straight home, pull out my box of pictures, and start playing along.  

I’m not sure why, but there’s something so fascinating about the juxtaposition of a memory within a current state—a single moment from the past within today’s viewpoint. I just love it!

Hats off to this young entrepreneur who took a simple creative idea and turned it into something countless people can enjoy, too.

If you sound intrigued, I recommend checking out Dear Photograph. Chances are, if you’re anything like me, you’ll want to start digging through old photos right away.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this link! I'd never heard of it and I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea! I admit, sometimes I take a lot of pictures just because I hope that my future children (and their children!) will treasure them like I treasure pictures of my grandparents :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost wrote a blog post about this last week--such a cool project! My parents' house has been completely renovated and looks almost nothing like our early pictures. Maybe I can do this with my grandparents' house though--hmmmm

    ReplyDelete