Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mama's Day

Today is a special day.

It's 3 days before August.

It's Friday-eve.

It's the day "Alice in Wonderland" was released in 1951.

But most importantly...

It's my mom's birthday!

I'd like to wish a happy 30th birthday to one heck-of-a-woman! (Ok, so she may not be 30, but she's still pretty darn young if you ask me.)

For a long time, it was just my mom and me. We grew up together in many ways, me through the terrors of childhood and adolescence and her through the challenging times of adulthood, parenthood, and independence. But life isn't so scary when you've got someone like my mom by your side. I have to say I fell pretty darn lucky to have had her to guide me, to support me, and to comfort me. I wasn't always the greatest daughter (it's amazing the attitude and disobedience that can flow from a teenager), but she's always been a great mom.

She's patient and loving. She always answers the phone (or at least calls you back right away). She'll let you dress up her infant son as a girl, and laugh as you take pictures that you'll one day show at his wedding. She won't scream at you when you wake her up in the middle of the night to tell her you tore the door of the car by backing up into a lampost with the door open (but she might still be mad the next day). She'll give into your begging and let you cut your bangs, even though she knows you have a terrible cowlick and chances are you're going to regret it (hey, you have to learn for yourself sometimes, right?). She'll help you move 5 times in 3 years. She'll pick you up from work when your boyfriend gets laid off from work and YOU'RE the one whose too distraught to finish the day. She'll listen to you complain (and not say a word about your foul language) about someone or something that really gets you going. She'll have just the right words to say when you call her sobbing, whether it's the result of a no-good-very-bad-day or nothing more than PMS.

More than anything, she'll love you--fiercly, unconditionally, wholely.

I'm so lucky to have a great mom who doubles as a best friend. Happy birthday mama!

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday to your mom!

    My mom let me cut my bangs multiple times even though I had similar results to yours--dang cowlicks always seem to get in the way of trendy hairstyles :)

    ReplyDelete