Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The 3 amigas

For my first 2 years of college, I went to school in Wisconsin, about 90 miles from home. Being the homebody that I am, it was difficult, to say the least. But while the experience was challenging in many ways, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I made unforgettable memories, and more importantly, lifelong friends.

These 2 girls in particular:

The funny thing is, Beth (on the left) didn't even go to the same school as Lacie (on the right) and me. Beth and Lacie went to high school together. In fact, a LOT of my friends from college went to the same high school. I started feeling like I went to high school with them too. But without launching into a story that would take days to tell, the bottom line is this: Lacie was my best friend at school. Beth was her best friend from home. With plenty of visits, the 3 of us became very close.

Now that we live 250 miles apart (me in Minnesota, the 2 of them in their hometown) we don't get to talk or see each other nearly as often as we'd like. But whenever we get together, it doesn't take long to fall back into the comfortable banter, the casual laughter, and the familiar camaraderie of old friends.

This past weekend Sean and I went to visit them. The 2 days flew by. The six of us (us 3 girls and our other halves) got along great. We went to the farmer's market, played games, walked around for hours, and spent quality time catching up.  

I was sad to pull out of the driveway on Sunday knowing it will be months before I see them again. I can't even count on one hand how many times Sean or I have turned to each other since we've been home and said, "Why can't we live closer to them?" But they're already talking about coming to town for our wedding next summer. It makes me even more excited for the big day!

Friends are a true blessing. We have childhood friends. High school friends. College friends. Work friends. You name it. But no matter where they came from in our life, true friends are the ones who always hold a special place in your life, whether you see each other every day or once a year. If you can pick up right where you left off, you know that's a friendship of a lifetime. Couldn't be truer of these 3 amigas.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel your pain! My best friends from college live VERY far away from me, and I'm always sad after a visit that I don't live close to them anymore. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friendships where you can pick up where you left off are rare and precious! I wish we lived closer to our friends too but for now, it just makes us appreciate the times we do get to spend together :)

    ReplyDelete