Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Weekend in review

I’m in a bit of denial that September is just a few days away. Where in the world did this summer go?

But we’re not letting that stop us from enjoying every last bit of it. This past weekend included.

Friday night we went to the great Minnesota Get Together – the State Fair! The Minnesota State Fair is one of the largest and most-attended fairs in the country, and we’re big fans. I know lots of people who avoid it at all costs, saying it’s too expensive, too crowded, or simply not worth it. But not us. We go every year. At least once.

This year we went with 9 of our other friends. Sticking together through the crowds was challenging at times, but it didn’t stop us from having a lot of fun.
The food choices at the fair are overwhelming. Everyone has their favorites, but we try and limit it to a few things we like to get every year, like the fried ravioli, shaved ice, or Sweet Martha’s chocolate chip cookies.
One of my all-time favorite things to have is a shake from the dairy building. It’s a treat I look forward to practically year-round. So when we went Friday, I carefully planned the rest of my consumption so that I could indulge on an ice-cold chocolate shake when we finally made our way to that end of the fair. By the time we did, though, it was 9 o’clock and the building had closed. No shake for me. I felt like the fat kid of all fat kids. I was very disappointed I didn’t get my treat. I mean, I could've practically cried.

But it’s ok. It’s just another good excuse to go again next weekend!

Saturday was another fun day. With the help of a few other friends, we threw a co-ed baby shower for two of our friends who are expecting their first born in less than a month.
{Cake was homemade - and delicious - by our friend Meggan}
The boys were a bit apprehensive about attending a baby shower, but I think they actually had quite a good time. And the soon-to-be parents did too, which is really most important. 

I’ll share all the shower details later this week. I promise!

Sunday was a much-needed lazy day. Short of a quick trip to the grocery store and dinner with Sean’s family, we stuck close to home. It was wonderful.

Work is still crazy so I’m a little anxious for the week ahead but already looking forward to the long weekend (even if it does mean it’s Labor Day and summer will really be coming to a close).

How was your weekend? Any fun things to look forward to this week or weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment