Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering...

Ten years. 3,652 days. A lot can happen in such a span of time. Yet, I remember the day 10 years ago today like it was yesterday.

I was a senior in high school, just finishing up my first class of the day. Photography. Our principal came over the loudspeaker and told us in a sobering voice that 2 planes had hit the World Trade Center building. Our teacher, not knowing whether he meant the building with a similar name in our own city, ran out of the room in a panic to get more details.

Meanwhile, the bell rang and kids filled the halls with horror on their faces. By the time we were sitting in the seats of our next class just 5 minutes later, more information was pouring in. Teachers were wheeling TVs into their rooms, abandoning their lesson plans for the day and watching alongside us as life as we know it changed minute by minute.
{Via NY Magazine}
The rest of the day was much in the same. In every class we watched coverage of the tragedy. We were watching live when the towers collapsed. We heard the news of other crashes at the same time as the rest of the world. Teachers struggled to find words of comfort or understanding, when no one—not them, not us, not the leaders of our country—could even begin to wrap their mind around the unthinkable things happening around us.
{Via NY Magazine}

That night we went home to our families. After-school activities were cancelled. The tasks that used to feel urgent enough to keep our parents at work late weren’t important anymore. We needed to be together.

In our house, we stayed glued to the TV, frightened but still unable to turn away. I was scared. Sad. Awed. There’s no other way to describe it. I couldn’t believe what was happening, and I was afraid of what else was to come. My mom and I even talked about whether I should go to school the next day. Our country was under attack, and there was no telling whether it was over or whether this was simply the beginning.
{Via NY Magazine}
But we went on. We listened to people urging us to fight on, to stand in solidarity with an entire country of people coming together. There was an overwhelming feeling of patriotism, at least in my opinion.

And as the months and years went on, we adapted to a new world. We, as individuals and as a country, would never be the same. The events of a single day profoundly changed our lives. And it will continue to do so.

We will never forget that day. I will always get goosebumps when I watch footage of that day. I will keep in my heart the thousands of people who lost their lives, and their families who were left to mourn them. I will tell my children of that chilling day. I will remember. Always.
{Via Pinterest}

No comments:

Post a Comment