Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Reappearing

Oh hi there, 2012. Only 18 days in and I’m finally showing my face.

I’ve been absent around these parts for no good reason. Maybe it’s because I’ve been busy, but I’m not sure I have anything to prove that to be true. Maybe it’s because I’ve been feeling the winter slump, even though the weather has actually been unseasonably warm this month (until today, brrrr!). Or maybe it’s because my life can sometimes feel like a series of boring, routine days that deliver very little inspiration and blog-worthy material.

Except, that I sometimes love the boring, the routine.

{Via}
I wake up at almost the same time almost every morning, give or take a few taps of the trusty ol’ snooze button. I follow a predictable routine—heading to the gym, getting ready, reading a book on the bus commute to work. I spend the day doing the same job I’ve done for 4+ years (yet each day still manages to bring new opportunities and challenges). And then I board the bus and travel home, surrounded by the familiar faces of seemingly average middle-class professionals, all headed to the same small-town neighborhood in the middle of an urban metropolis.

Like the morning, nighttime has its own predetermined schedule, centered mostly around our very early bedtime (no later than 8:30, if we can help it).The few hours of downtime I have seem to fly by with dinner, dishes, preparation for the next day, and some quality time in front of the TV. Somewhere in between it all we find time for the little things, like working on the latest wedding to-do or laughing at countless funny videos on YouTube.

And then it’s all over. We’re quietly resting it bed, the hum of the fan lulling us to sleep. And we do it again the next day.

Yet somehow, despite the routine of it all, I can’t help but enjoy it. I feel blessed for every minute of it. (And I should probably pay extra close attention, since I imagine our lives will only get busier and more chaotic as time goes on.)

So forgive me for being absent, for failing to find time in the midst of monotony for other things that I love—like writing here. I guess I just needed a few weeks to clear my head. But now, as the therapeutic thrill of writing for fun comes rushing back to me, I’m even more excited to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment