Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

A happy birthday is due

Sean and I have been together for 7 years and counting. That’s kind of a long time…but I guess it’s all kind of relative.

But have I ever told you that I actually knew his mom first, 4 years before I even came to know (and ultimately fall in love with) him?

True story.

I started working at a child care center my junior year of high school. His mom was a pre-school teacher there. We often chatted when I came in for my afternoon shift (just as she was finishing hers). Four years later, I transferred to a college closer to home, returned to work at the child care, and met her son who had started working there. The rest is history (in the making).

My point is, I consider myself pretty darn lucky that I have a soon-to-be mommy-in-law who I was friends with before I even knew we’d one day be family.

See, Sean’s family is part of the reason it was so easy to fall in love with him. They were so welcoming, so sweet, and so much fun to be around. I attended my first family birthday dinner before we were even dating (his youngest brother’s) and while I was apprehensive at first, I instantly felt comfortable and at home.

And his mom has an awful lot to do with that. I’ve always been able to tell her anything. I can ask her opinion and know she’ll give me an honest answer. She is incredibly patient (I think you have to be with 3 boys), strong, and kind. I would just as much spend my Friday night hanging out with her as I would with any of our other friends. And let’s be honest, not everyone can say that about their in-laws.

So I have to say, I’m feeling especially blessed to be entering this family, most especially thanks to her.

And why am I telling you all of this? Because tomorrow is her birthday! She’s been through a lot these last few years and deserves nothing but the best for her day.
{Sean's mom (left), me, and my mom at a friend's wedding}
Holly, we love you so much and can’t wait to celebrate with you! Thank you for all you do for us – and for being you! I can’t wait to officially become your daughter in just 4 short months!

1 comment:

  1. miss jewells + crown jewells = the perfect blog name.

    love it!

    ReplyDelete