Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Living up to the song

I was jamming out to my iPod at work the other day, trying to make it through the gray afternoon with a certain level of productivity—and with my eyes open. A song popped up that always makes me chuckle a little.

In high school (and into college) I dated this boy I had met through my best friend’s brother. Let’s call him Brad. Our relationship, if you can really even call it that, was a bit tumultuous. Things never seemed to go the way they’re supposed to, and while things were off and on for a few years, we spent much more time apart than we ever did together.

One summer day our roller coaster of a relationship was just back on the uptick and Brad invited me to go boating with him and a mutual friend . We’ll call him Jack. After we dropped the boat in the water, Brad went to park the car and Jack asked me how things were going with Brad.

“Eh, fine for now” was about all I could say, complete with a roll of my eyes. I couldn’t figure Brad out and was beginning to wonder if I was crazy for giving our relationship another shot. It might be, I told Jack, time to admit that he just wasn’t as committed to making things work as I was.

Jack laughed. I glared, not finding it particularly funny. But then he explained himself, revealing some of the things Brad had shared with him just that morning that may make me feel differently. The kicker, as Jack described it, was that a song had come on the radio on their way to pick me. Brad turned it up and told Jack to be quiet because the song reminded him of me. Jack said it was all Brad could talk about for miles.

I wasn’t familiar with the song at the time so of course the first thing I did when I got home was look it up. Even then I had to laugh. It’s a sweet song, at the root of it, but it’s a little funny, too. I have to admit, some parts of it sound pretty true. So maybe Brad knew me better than I thought after all.

Obviously things didn’t work out with us. And thank God for that, because now I’m with the person I’m meant to spend the rest of my life with. But every time I hear that song, I still have to laugh a little—at the truth in the lyrics and at the funny way the song came into my life. And at the fact that Sean would probably say the song sounds like me, too. Am I really that transparent? J

So what song is it?

Have a listen.

She's Every Woman by Garth Brooks on Grooveshark

I'd have to say the opening part sounds most, er, familiar:
“She’s sun and rain, she’s fire and ice
A little crazy but it’s nice
And when she gets mad, you best leave her alone
‘Cause she’ll rage just like a river
Then she’ll beg you to forgive her..."

1 comment:

  1. Love this song, and love the color of the background of your blog, I just LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete