Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Don't worry, be happy

{Via}
A friend recently shared a rather inspiring article on Facebook. I consider myself a happy person. At least most of the time, I’m generally pleased with my life. (Sean, who is subject to my random bouts of crabbiness over petty things like laundry, may tell you differently.) Honestly, though, I’m at a very happy place in my life.

But reading this article about 15 things to give up to be happy got me thinking. Sometimes it really is the seemingly small stuff that turns out to do the most damage to happiness.  Even if it’s a fleeting thought, it’s a threat to my happiness and it’s not worth my time and energy.

I’ve found myself being so negative lately about a lot of things. This reminded me of the importance of letting go, choosing my battles, and making a deliberate effort to be happy. Very refreshing—and I just had to share.

If you don’t have time to read the article, here’s a quick summary The author suggests that if you give up these 15 things, you could make your life much easier—and happier.

Give up:
  • Your need to always be right
  • Your need for control
  • Blame
  • Self-defeating self-talk
  • Limiting beliefs
  • Complaining
  • The luxury of criticism
  • The need to impress others
  • Resistance to change
  • Labels
  • Fears
  • Excuses
  • The past
  • Attachment
  • Living your life to other people’s expectations
I can’t even begin to narrow down a few of my favorites. I feel like every single one of these is a part of my life in a negative way. Even in small ways, I see how these can affect my happiness without even realizing it.

It definitely opened my eyes to some ways I can make a conscious effort to be positive, and to live my life without feeling like I’m fighting a constant battle against things like competition, pride, or weakness.

Am I the only one who was struck by these? Or are you already doing a great job of conquering these happiness-injuring activities?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... I totally needed this post today! #1 and #2 would totally change my world if I could get over those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the exact same way...I so needed to hear that yesterday! Well, everyday probably, hah. I'm sure it won't be easy, but I'm definitely up for trying to let go of some of these in my life.

      Delete