Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Striped nails!

I’ve been a little obsessed with trying fun new things with my nails lately, really for no other reason than boredom.

A few weeks ago I randomly tried a French manicure of sorts but with gray as my base color.


Then, right around Easter, I gave polka dots a shot. I had a lot of fun with that one, and plan on trying some different patterns with those eventually.
Then, last week I came across this pin while browsing Pinterest:
I knew I had to give it a shot. I went to the source website (Chloe's Nails) and browsed around a bit, getting some very helpful tips for getting such a design. Turns out, it was actually much easier than I thought.

I started by painting my nails with the base coat. I used one of my favorite  colors, a pink-toned beige from OPI (Barefoot in Barcelona). Once that coat was dry, I put a small piece of Scotch tape over the lower corner of my nail, and painted the rest of the nail gray (Break A Leg-Warmer from Sephora by OPI).  I did this one-by-one until they were all done. Then, once that layer was dry, I did the top corner in Under my Trench Coat (Sephora by OPI).  I actually skipped the Scotch tape on the last step. The lines aren’t quite as crisp but it was such a small amount that it was really close enough. The best part is you can do this with any 3 colors you want! (And before I put the third layer on, it looked kind of cool just half-and-half, too).
I was pretty excited with the end result. It might just be my new favorite way to wear my nails—until I get bored and find something new, of course.

Thanks for letting me share with you—even if it bored you to tears. I know it’s not for everyone, but I just had to share my fun new find!

6 comments:

  1. I can do regular nails just fine but when I try any sort of design they look horrible. These are so good :) I might have to give it another try... Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally give it a try - I was surprised how easy it actually was!

      Delete
  2. I love this...I am going to have to try it! You probably need a really steady hand! Oh no. Haha! We will see how this turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it - and let me know how it turns out! Trust me, I don't have a steady hand and I made it work. The trick is to just focus on doing it 1 nail at a time. It takes a little time but who doesn't love sitting down and pampering yourself a little? :)

      Delete
  3. Those stripes are gorgeous! It looks like you had them done professionally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was impressed with how it turned out - now if I can only manage to keep them that way for more than the usual 2 days ;)

      Delete