Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Long weekends you don't wish for

This weekend unexpectedly turned into a long one for Sean and me. Only, it's the kind of long weekend you don't wish for. I would have traded our 3-day weekend for an average fast-but-fun 2-day weekend in a heartbeat.

It started Thursday night when I got home from work and learned more about the strange symptoms that had kept Sean home from work that day. He had downplayed them all day long but it never felt right to me, so by the time I got home I insisted he go to the doctor.

And, though we didn’t know it at the time, so began our weekend.

After a visit to urgent care Sean was instructed to go to the ER for further evaluation. Hours later he was being admitted. We didn’t get to his room until almost 1 a.m., and we didn’t get any sleep. They continued running tests and by mid-afternoon Friday had confirmed their presumptive diagnosis of inflammation of his heart muscle.
He stayed one more night for observation and they brought me a cot to sleep on. We finally got the sleep our bodies were craving. He was discharged Saturday afternoon and we were thrilled to be homeward bound. The rest of our day was pretty much a wash. Our internal clocks were still a bit thrown off and we spent most of it in and out of sleep.

And here we are, Sunday already. The extra day in our weekend actually had the opposite effect, robbing us of time and sleep and productivity. While I’m sure we both would’ve preferred a different kind of weekend, I’m happy that it at least meant Sean got the care he needed.

I’m still feeling a bit off balance but hoping some good ol’ chores and organization will put us back on track today. Monday tomorrow already? Oy!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your rough weekend. I agree that stressful long weekends aren't worth that extra day! I included your blog in my post today. Check it out here: http://abuckeyeinbadgerland.blogspot.com/2012/05/winning.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I am sorry you had such a stressful weekend! I hope that Sean starts to feel better. I am a new follower to your blog. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete