Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

We love our animals

Growing up I was never much of an animal lover; we didn’t have pets and I was slightly intimidated by dogs. But as I grew up, I longed for that furry companionship—and Oliver and Murphy (my mom’s dog) brought that to our lives.

Over the years, I’ve found myself become increasingly in love with animals. I have a soft spot in my heart for them. I cry at the animal cruelty commercials. I can’t walk into a humane society or pet store because my heart can’t withstand the thought of not being able to take every single one of them home.

And last weekend, I sobbed through Rise of the Planet of the Apes, because, as I tearfully (again) recounted to some girlfriends on Sunday, “the monkey just wanted to go home!”

And admitting that one day we'll all have to come to terms with losing our faithful companions? Breaks my heart! 

And don’t get me started on stories like these:

The dog who lay sullenly by the casket of his fallen war hero owner throughout his entire funeral.
{Via}
The Pitbull who stayed by his fellow dog’s side for 14 hours after she was hit and killed by a car.
{Via}
I’m telling you, sometimes I feel like my heart literally melts!

1 comment:

  1. I am the SAME way. I can't watch a movie or read a book with an animal in it, because I feel like 99% of the time, the animal dies. And that pitbull video? I hadn't seen it yet, and now I'm crying at my desk.

    When I was job hunting in Minneapolis, I passed on applying for a position at the humane society because one of the required skills was handling the emotional aspects of the humane society. DEFINITELY not a skill I have.

    ReplyDelete