Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

This Weekend I...

This weekend was especially nice because it was three whole days longer than usual. I filled my days with equal parts fun, relaxation, and productivity (you know, just enough to not feel like a total bum).

This weekend I enjoyed a wonderful "Friendsgiving" with Sean and his friends. Back when they were in high school, they started a tradition of having a pre-Thanksgiving meal the day before Thanksgiving. It's grown over the years to include all the significant others and new friends - and the food has come a long way, too. Gone are the days of rotisserie chicken and store-bought mashed potatoes. We've got quite a few great cooks in the group now, which makes for an undeniably delicious spread. This year we had roasted turkey, sweet and regular mashed potatoes, homemade rolls, fresh baked pies, and so much more. And what do I have to show for it? Just a single photo of the fellas who started it all (minus a couple). Photo fail on my part!

This weekend I enjoyed a delicious Thanksgiving dinner. Sean's family was out of town, so we spent a quiet morning at home and then had dinner with my family. Even the dogs got in on the action. It was a nice, relaxing holiday - our first one as husband and wife!
This weekend I discovered this while doing some (very quick) black Friday shopping with Sean. We decided that - when we have kids someday - we might just have to spoil them with this so they can be like daddy (it's one of those hot wheels things that kids can ride around it). Let's hope they still make these when that someday comes around!
This weekend I cleaned the house in the middle of the night. I love night cleaning! Sean was at work and I couldn't fall asleep, so I turned on some Christmas music and got the chaos of our house back into order. I finally found a spot for this - above the kitchen sink window - and just love it!
This weekend I baked! I went to a cookie exchange with some friends on Sunday and made one of my favorite holiday cookies - Melting Moments. I even made them gluten free and you can't tell the difference at all. Seeing as how the last thing I need is more indulgent temptations in the house, Sean and I will be taking several of the treats to work (after sampling them all, of course). So much fun!
Delicious! I shared the recipe here last year.
Baby C enjoying the tree at the cookie exchange
This weekend I started getting the house ready for the Christmas season. After coming home from the cookie exchange I was feeling festive, so I pulled out all of the decorations and got to work. There is something so peaceful about sitting back and basking in the soft glow of the Christmas tree. It's the next best thing to a warm fire, I think, and since we don't have a fireplace, the tree wins. Bliss!

What did you do this weekend?


7 comments:

  1. I've been hearing the term Friendsgiving a lot this year, I think I must start my own next time! :)

    I'm totally guilty of late-night cleaning/organizing... sometimes it's just the best time!

    And PS- definitely going to check out that cookie recipe, thanks for sharing the link!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that a lot this year, too! It's definitely a fun tradition - you should totally try it!

      Night cleaning is the BEST! I tend to be a night owl so I'm all for being productive, plus who wouldn't sleep like a rock knowing you get to wake up to a sparkling clean house?!?

      Definitely try the cookies - you won't regret it!

      Delete
  2. Your tree looks gorgeous! I love it! Also, I can say for a fact that I've never cleaned my house in the middle of the night before...too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it sometime! It's probably a little harder with Azaela because night cleaning is exponentially better with loud music :)

      Delete
  3. Those cookies look DELICIOUS!! Probably because I've had Christmas cookies on the brain lately though :-) I can't wait to make my usual cookies this year! Your decorations look amazing too. SO PRETTY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm like you - totally have Christmas cookies and all sorts of holiday stuff on the brain! It's so FUN! Of course, it might also have something to do with the fact that it feels like January already outside. Brr!!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete