Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

May Day 22: My soapbox rant

Today’s prompt: Rant about something. Get up on your soapbox and tell us how you really feel.

Oooh boy does this sound fun. I’m going to play it relatively safe here, though, and avoid ranting about anything that might stir up some tension around these parts. Instead, I’m going to tell you a little bit about one of my biggest gym pet peeves.

Picture this: You’re at the gym, where they conveniently cram a few too many machines into a line to accommodate their booming membership levels. You’re sweating away on a treadmill or elliptical, drowning out the sound of your own huffing and puffing with music at ear drum-damaging levels. Out of the corner of your eye, you spot someone approaching your general vicinity. There’s a long row of open machines, surely they won’t end up right next you. But no, they’re getting closer. And sure enough, they climb onto the machine Right. Next. To. You.  Nevermind that there are several—and I do mean several—open spots. They insist on the spot right next to you.

See, I have a thing for personal space. I don’t like feeling like my “bubble” is being invaded, most especially when I’m self-conscious enough about my aforementioned sweaty, huffing and puffing self. It’s very much like choosing the middle bathroom stall in a choice of three (you know you’re guaranteed to end up next to someone if they come in, right?).

Am I the only one who is driven completely crazy by this behavior? Maybe I’m just envious of people who are carefree enough to simply make decisions like which exercise machine to get on without carefully weighing all possible scenarios.

And while we’re talking about gym etiquette (I use this term loosely though since some are very much more personal preference than true etiquette), could you please also refrain from the following:
  • Spreading your belongings out all over the locker room. We’re all pretty crammed in here, so if I could avoid having to dodge your expansive clutter just to get to my locker, that’d be great.
  • Taking care of your lady business in front of all of us. Maybe this is just my conservative nature, but I’d really rather not be witness to you changing your panty liners or moisturizing your nether regions with your leg propped up on the counter.
  • Basically – please just remember that you’re not at home, you’re in a public place you share with lots of other people (primarily strangers). Just be courteous, that is all.
Ok, stepping off my soapbox now…

1 comment:

  1. I TOTALLY get this. Although sometimes you have no choice, but if there's a spot open, don't go right next to the other person! Gah.

    ReplyDelete