Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

May Day 6: What I really do

Today’s prompt: If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question, 'what do you do'?

I love this question because I think, while our jobs can be significant parts of our lives, they are only a small fraction of who we are. These jobs can certainly be a reflection of our personality, but I think often what is most telling is what we do with our lives outside of work. The activities we choose to do. The people with whom we choose to surround ourselves. The priorities we set for our precious free time.
 
So what does it say about me that sometimes, I’m not even sure what I do with my free time? I feel like we’re so busy most of the time, yet, we really don’t have that much going on. I can’t imagine what busy will feel like as we get older and have all sorts of other priorities (like kids, etc.).
 
But we’re talking about the here and now. So what do I do?
 
Well I take care of my hubby and my puppy. I enjoy taking care of people, so I like doing things to take care of my boys – whether it’s making meals, going out of my way to do something nice, or just helping out with things that make life a little easier for them. Let’s face it, this is pretty standard for a dog, but I’d have to say my husband is pretty lucky most of the time. (It’s ok, I’m a lucky lady too.)
 
I spend time with my family and friends. As cheesy as it sounds, I just feel at home around my family—whether it’s with Sean and the pup or either side of our families. My favorite times tend to be the simple moments—running errands together, a family dinner, working on a house project. The same is true with our friends. Sometimes when we’re all together, I look around at all of us laughing together and think it’s pretty darn incredible that we’ve found each other. These are the moments where I feel most content with my life.
 
I take pictures. I have a camera with me almost everywhere I go, even if it’s just my cell phone. I love photography, and while I’m nowhere near a professional, it’s a hobby that keeps me challenged and happy.
 
I stay active. I love relaxing as much as anyone, but I tend to get a bit stir crazy if I sit around too long. Whether it’s going to the gym, taking the dog on long walks, playing softball, or going for a bike ride—I like to keep moving.
 
I watch TV. If what we do in our free time is actually telling of who we are like I said at the beginning of this post, then chalk this up to one of my lesser qualities. It’s nothing to be proud of, but there’s something about settling in with my 2 favorite boys to watch a favorite TV show or movie. It seems to be the perfect relaxation at the end of a long day.
 
I write. Whether it’s a blog post or an email or a few scribbles in a notebook, I love weaving words together to create stories, capture memories, or draw inspiration from life happening around me.
 
I wouldn’t say any of these things is unique or impressive, but they’re the things that make me, me. At the end of the day, it’s these things that make me happiest.
 

1 comment:

  1. It's not cheesy to say you feel at home around your family. I feel the same. :)

    ReplyDelete