Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

It's the holiday season!

I've got the Williams Brothers' "It's the holiday season" song stuck in my head these days, perhaps because my husband seems to shout it at the most random of times. Occasionally I'll even receive a midday text simply saying, "IT'S THE HOLIDAY SEASON!" I have no idea why he seems to be hooked on this oldie, but it makes me laugh every time.

But it's true - the holiday season is here! And this past weekend we leaned into the festive mood and took full advantage. Friday night be braved the Mall of America for some nearly final Christmas shopping. Surprisingly, it was not as busy as I had expected. We checked a few more items off our list, and finished the night by seeing the movie Out of the Furnace. I liked it, and not just because I adore Christian Bale and Casey Affleck. It took a little while to really get into it, but Sean liked it, too.
Scenes of the MOA on a Friday night in December - a middle-school band performance
and a Nickelodeon Universe light show.
We spent most of Saturday taking it easy and getting ready for our annual Christmas party with friends. Getting together with our friends always promises to be a good time, and this year was no different. We stayed out until nearly midnight, which, if I'm being honest, is later than we've been out in quite some time. There were 7 kids there - last year there were just 2! I can only imagine how the party will expand (and change) as years goes on and the kids get older.
On Sunday, we made and decorated Christmas cookies with Sean's family. We each went home with a huge batch of delicious treats, and my resolution to cut back on sugar took a temporary hiatus. Sean and I both had Monday off of work, so our low-key Sunday bled into a low-key Monday, too. We worked out, went out to lunch, got manicures (yep, convinced him to get one!), wrapped presents, and made even more sweet treats. I decided to make another batch of chocolate-covered pretzels for my team members at work. I packaged them up in cute holiday containers, attached our Christmas card, and had a cheap and easy way to wish them a Merry Christmas!

Now, I can't believe we're just a week away from Christmas. We are looking forward to spending time with family in the next week, starting with my extended family this Friday. Sean has to work on Christmas day this year, but we'll still be able to take part in a few family traditions, like mass and dinner with his family on Christmas eve. I'm looking forward to some extended time off of work, and lots of time to finish the year with some R&R. What are you looking forward to before 2013 comes to a close?

1 comment: