Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

I'm dating my husband



I’ve been seeing a blog post floating around my social networks these last few weeks: “I’m dating someone even though I’m married.” While it’s intentionally (but playfully) deceptive at first, the moral of the story is a good one. Even after you’re married, it’s important to still date. Your spouse that is.

Sean and I are notoriously not very good at this. Sure, we go out to dinner or a catch a movie from time to time. But we rarely make anything special of it. Even just your mindset about it can make the difference. So we’re trying to do better. And now that Sean’s work schedule means we spend a little less time together, it’s all the more reason to make the best of the times we do have together.

This weekend was one long date, and it was so much fun. Sean has to work most weekends in February, so we decided to use a Christmas present for a night’s stay at a historic hotel as a way to celebrate Valentine’s Day and my birthday a little early.

Our hotel reservations were for Saturday night. Earlier in the day, we had a stupid fight and were hardly talking each other. I even offered up the option of skipping the night all together, but we went anyway. And I’m so glad we did. Within minutes of arriving, we smiled at each other, said our apologies, and completely forgot about it. And I think it made us appreciate our time together even more.
We checked in Saturday afternoon and got settled into our suite. It was gorgeous – two rooms, a canopy bed, a fireplace, Jacuzzi tub, and views of the St. Croix River. We walked a few blocks to explore Main Street, a quaint little area with shops and small restaurants. We settled on an Irish pub for dinner and then headed back to our hotel. We brought a bag of snacks and spent the night cozy by the fire, eating junk food and watching bad TV and funny videos on YouTube. It wasn’t much unlike a night at home, except we had made something special of it. And we had a great time.

Breakfast was included in our gift certificate, so Sunday morning we enjoyed a delicious breakfast buffet. We went back to our room and read the Sunday paper by the fire (can I please get a fireplace at home now?). 
On our way home, we stopped to see Lone Survivor at a theater our friends have been raving about. All of the seats are recliners, called Dream Loungers, but otherwise it’s your basic movie theater. But it was still worth it! I think we’ll be going there a lot more now. After the movie, we did some shopping, picked up the dog from grandma’s house, and took a family cat nap on the couch.
I don’t mean to sound trite, but by Sunday night, my heart felt so full. I loved spending quality time together without the monotony of our day-to-day routines. Of course, this date might have been a bit more involved than most, but even the small things we do to spend more quality time together can make a difference. We communicate more – better – and take the time to really appreciate one another’s company. And I’m looking forward to making it a regular part of our routine.

I know many of you have talked about doing the same thing lately, so if you have ideas for great date nights (big and small) – feel free to send them my way!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Looks like a lot of fun. Jordan and I are really bad at actually going on dates.

    ReplyDelete