Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My latest breakfast obsession



My breakfast routine is not always the most ideal, or not the way a trainer or nutritionist might tell me to do it. But it works for me. During the week, I go to the gym before work. Since it’s pretty much the butt crack of dawn, eating before the gym just isn’t easy for me. Most people recommend eating before a workout, but I just can’t seem to do it so early in the morning. If I am hungry, I might have a banana, but usually my body does just fine waiting until post-workout.

I get ready for work at the gym and then hop a bust to downtown Minneapolis. As soon as I get there, it's breakfast time.

I eat while I’m getting settled for the day – checking email, organizing for the day, things like that. For a long time, I’ve typically been having one of two things for breakfast – either a yogurt or 2 hard-boiled eggs (eating the egg whites only). Occasionally, I’ll have oatmeal instead. (And on Fridays, when my work has free bagels, muffins, and donuts, I chain myself to my desk to avoid the delicious temptation. Except for when I don’t. Because how can you say no to bagels or muffins, especially free ones?)

But lately, my breakfasts have been feeling really boring. So much so that, some days, I’d rather skip it all together than eat the same thing again. And we all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

That’s when I decided to try something different. And I’ve been loving it so much, I decided to share the recipe with all of you. I have to say, recipe seems like an exaggeration because this is SO easy. And you can really customize it to be anything you want.

I line a muffin pan with silicone muffin cups (you don’t need them; you could just spray the pan) and put a very small amount of shredded cheese in each cup. Then I mix egg whites with a dash of milk (optional) and salt and pepper. I pour the egg whites into the muffin cups. And here is where you can add WHATEVER YOU WANT (or maybe even nothing at all). One week I did nothing else but some green onions. This week I took a cue from a recipe for an egg white omelet I recently found in a magazine and added a little pico de gallo to each muffin cup. Delicious! But honestly - whatever sounds good to you. Broccoli, bacon, peppers, or maybe even nothing else at all.
Then, just bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes and you’re done. Freeze or refrigerate and take them out as you need them. They heat up super fast for an easy, healthy breakfast anytime.

1 comment:

  1. Are these really as easy as they seem? I have been meaning to try these. Maybe a test run this weekend...

    ReplyDelete