Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

Learning Love Languages

Understandably so, Sean and I sometimes speak very different love languages. It’s not terribly uncommon. Men and women are clearly wired very differently.

After being together for 9 years, you’d think I’d know and appreciate all the ways he shows his love by now. Truth? Not even close. But I think I’m getting better.

Sometimes it’s simply lost in translation. Other times, I’m too wrapped up in the emotional, irrational state of mind that is so often my life that I forget that when he doesn’t love me the way I expect him to, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t love me. And I’m sure for him, my love language can sometimes be equally mystifying or even frustrating.

Lately I’ve been paying a little more attention to a few examples of the different ways we show our love, not just for each other, but for others, too.

He:


…throws away the “baby” mail we get before I get home.

…texts me no less than 5 times a day, usually just to say hi or see what I’m doing (when one or both of us is at work).

…calls his mom right away as soon as he as any kind of news or hot gossip to share.

…takes care of all the outdoor chores without ever complaining.

…gets excited to see the dog after being away from him for a while.

…texts his brothers with sports questions and facts.

…never fails to give me a goodnight kiss and say, “I love you.”

…speaks proudly about his family. 

…calls his friends regularly just to catch up and say hi.

…takes care of me when I’m sick or hurt or feeling sad.


I:
{blurry; but I'm sticking with it anyway}

…grocery shop, meal plan, and cook (most of the time) so that we are always set for dinners and leftovers for lunch.

…am a snuggler.

…talk to my mom every single day.

…am always on the lookout for fun surprise gifts or treats that might brighten someone’s day.

…make sure all of our finances, health records, and other “administrative” stuff are always in order.

…let Sean have the window seat on every flight we ever take together.

…schedule regular dinners or outings with friends to keep us all connected.

…worry. (Not always the best thing; but I’m always thinking about people.)

…pray for Sean, our families, friends, coworkers, and acquaintances.

…say “I love you,” a lot.


What are your love languages?

No comments:

Post a Comment